special Wooly Bugger

Home Home Fly Fishing Beginner’s Corner special Wooly Bugger

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  FinLuver 5 years, 8 months ago. This post has been viewed 2516 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Charles D. Smith
    Participant

Is there anything wrong with tying the wooly bugger fly with hook up rather than down?

Bass_Bug

No, but its typically symetrical unless you add weight on top of the hook or bead chain eyes or something to make it ride point up.

Charles D. Smith
        Participant

Would an up-turned eye do the job?

Bass_Bug

If its not getting all the way to bottom it probably wouldnt make a difference. If you’re aiming for bottom a Clouser might be a better pattern.

Charles D. Smith
            Participant

I’m worried about snagging on deep brush, etc. What would you suggest to help prevent that?

Bass_Bug

Adding a mono weed guard. 25 -40 lb mono depending on hook size.

Mark
                Participant

Easiest way is probably to throw a tiny set of lead eyes or bead chain across the top of the head to weight the “upper” side and make it ride point up.

I think a simple brass bead will do it. Make it ride point up like a jig. All my beadhead flies ride that way. 🙂

NJTroutbum

Do both…..add dumbell eyes AND the weadguard. Call it a Wooly Clouser! 😉

Mark
                    Participant
                      Neil Selbicky - Tying steelhead flies for and guiding the Rogue River, Oregon wrote:

I think a simple brass bead will do it. Make it ride point up like a jig. All my beadhead flies ride that way. 🙂

Really?

Adding beads/cones to my flies has never had any real impact on the way they ride.

Interesting…

Yes.

Down eye hooks. I don’t know if it does the same with straight eye or up eye hooks? Strip your fly in sometime and look at the way it rides in the shallow water.

On my Carpetbagger Nymph it looks like the legs are on top. Not the case when in the water. They are on the bottom then! :cheer: :cheer:

Attachments:

Mark
                      Participant

Yeah, I use mostly down-eyes for buggers too…beads, cones, whatever…they all still ride point down.

Hard to believe. That’s the way I see it all the time. I was thinking of tieing my Prince Nymphs with the biots on the bottom. :laugh:

Attachments:

Normand E Frechette
                        Participant

So how do they magically turn upside down?

NJTroutbum

I’ve noticed quite a few nymphs riding upside down. Almost always down-eye patterns.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar