suggested pricing for vintage tack-l-tyers stuff

Home Home Fly Tying Tools & Materials suggested pricing for vintage tack-l-tyers stuff

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  john s 5 years, 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 999 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

john s
    Participant

My wife came across and purchased a box of vintage Tack-L-Tyers fly making materials today. Over 15 varieties, all in brand new condition, in original packages. All of it was kept in a climate controlled environment. Somewhere between 75 – 150 items, we haven’t counted yet and probably won’t have time to do so before the weekend. She want’s to sell this stuff at a local flea market in the next couple of weeks or put it on eBay.

Other than a couple of pkgs of yellow feathers and some vices, I’ve not been able to find anything from Tack-L-Tyers online (eBay) to guide us on the pricing. Can anyone give me some suggestions as to what to charge per pkg. I realize that prices would depend on the individual item, but I’m wondering if these are better than the new materials you can purchase online or if there is any call for these vintage items.

If anyone is interested in what items are in this lot, please let me know and I’ll try to send you an inventory. Please note, my normal work day is from 0300 – 1200, so I don’t get in much of a hurry to do stuff after work.

Thanks in advance for any help/info that you can provide me with.

Bass_Bug

Welcome to the forum. Any chance of posting a pic of what you have?

john s
        Participant

My wife may take some shots this PM for sale on eBay, if so, I’ll post one

john s
          Participant

My wife sat down and did an inventory, tags show what are in each box. NOTE: I DO NOT have final say in whether any offers made are accepted or not. Unfortunately, you get to fight it out with her. For those of you who are married (or have been) you will understand what is involved.

There are a total of 4 pictures.

Attachments:

john s
            Participant

the other 2 pics.

Normand E Frechette
              Participant

pictures of pretty pink post it notes is irrelevant

pictures of whats inside each box is

Mark
                Participant
                  Normand E Frechette wrote:

pictures of pretty pink post it notes is irrelevant

pictures of whats inside each box is

Exactly. Without seeing the actual materials themselves, Very few tyers will even be willing to cover shipping of what may turn out to be junk.

I’d like to see a photo of the jungle cock selection. And an asking price? :whistle:

john s
                  Participant

Flytire,
                    I’m sorry that you hate pink, what color would you prefer my wife to use? I’ll make sure I change the inventory shots to that color just for you.

Flytire and Cold,
                    I do understand what you are saying about pictures of the products. My wife is posting vintage stuff on eBay all the time and I make sure that the pictures we post there show any and all defects. Since i don’t know if (a) this Mfgr had a superior product, (b) if any were no longer available because of restrictions on animal trade or (c) if any interest was for just nostalgia only, I was just throwing bait out there to see if i got any bites (so to speak). My wife was haggling with some fishermen and jewelry makers at the flea market Saturday, but said she would let them know after we concluded any transactions that came about on this site. If this stuff is rare or of better quality that what is on the market today, I’d rather let people who appreciate it have first crack at it instead of jewelry makers. Unfortunately, with my less than optimal work hours (which are better than no hours) and having to make a 100 mi round trip drive 4x a week to check on my parents (who are in a senior center), I didn’t have much time last week to post anything other than the inventory list on the end of the boxes. I will be quite willing to take pictures of specific items that serious buyers are interested in, but as far as a total inventory/closeup shot of each item, that’s going to take a while.

RogueGuiden,
                    I’ll try to post a picture for you by tomorrow, just depends on how parents are today and how tired i am when i actually get home. I’ll also ask my wife for a price.

Please note: I grew up in an economically depressed area and “store bought fishing tackle” for me was whatever I could salvage out of trees that someone else abandoned. My idea of fly fishing was taking a salvaged hook, some of moms black sewing thread, and what ever bird feathers (or winter road kill squirrel tails) i could find to make flies and pretending my cane pole was a fly rod. I could only dream about using these materials. That’s why I’m asking the forum members for assistance.

Mark
                    Participant

Flytire and Cold,
                      I do understand what you are saying about pictures of the products. My wife is posting vintage stuff on eBay all the time and I make sure that the pictures we post there show any and all defects.

So…why wouldn’t you want to take pictures of every single item you want us to apparently blindly give you a quote on?

Since i don’t know if (a) this Mfgr had a superior product, (b) if any were no longer available because of restrictions on animal trade or (c) if any interest was for just nostalgia only, I was just throwing bait out there to see if i got any bites (so to speak). My wife was haggling with some fishermen and jewelry makers at the flea market Saturday, but said she would let them know after we concluded any transactions that came about on this site. If this stuff is rare or of better quality that what is on the market today, I’d rather let people who appreciate it have first crack at it instead of jewelry makers.

Forgive me if I’m mistaken, but it really just sounds, to me, like you’re using us to bump up your prices (for buyers who you’re actually allowing to see the product), effectively using the whole collective experience of the site as a sort of “expert witness” to tell buyers, “these people said this is rare and valuable!” without actually giving us the information we’d need to say such a thing (possibly specifically so we can’t tell you it’s worthless, if that’s the case). I hate to be cynical/pessimistic about this whole discussion, but that’s my gut reaction to the communication thus far.

If your pink tags are accurate (which we can’t verify without pictures of each item, and is certainly not a foregone conclusion), then very little of your find is rare, unavailable, etc. That’s good news for you since, if you’re in the US, you could be in hot water just for accepting possession of some things. Materials-wise, there’s very little nostalgia inflation outside of a few certain specific types of old hooks (which again, we’d need pictures to even begin to determine), and generally, most tying materials only decrease in desirability as they age…especially when buying new is usually pretty affordable.

As an addendum, condition/usability is everything in tying materials. Even with excellent pictures of your stock, feathers and hair may be dry and brittle, hook finish may be spotty, or any of a thousand other little things that could conceivably drastically alter what they’re worth. At the very least, to get an accurate idea of what you’re sitting on, it’s absolutely, positively necessary to provide pictures. You’re asking us to vouch for the value of something, sight unseen, to justify your difference in opinion with buyers that are seeing and handling the items, and there’s no way that is fair to those people. Further, you seem to be doing it in such a way that you can avoid selling to the very people here that you’re coming to with a request for a free appraisal, implying that you intend to sell it for greater than that, to someone who doesn’t know what they’re getting.

Unfortunately, with my less than optimal work hours (which are better than no hours) and having to make a 100 mi round trip drive 4x a week to check on my parents (who are in a senior center), I didn’t have much time last week to post anything other than the inventory list on the end of the boxes. I will be quite willing to take pictures of specific items that serious buyers are interested in, but as far as a total inventory/closeup shot of each item, that’s going to take a while.

Then let it take a while. Whatever the reasons, it doesn’t change the realities of your interaction with this site. Perhaps rather than acting as an intermediary for your wife who seems to be calling all of the shots, you should let her interface with us directly, and maybe she will be able to provide pictures. You are starting to show that you don’t have the time to even show us pictures of items, yet you seem to expect us to give you what you want…and that’s not exactly a great way to go about doing even what little business you’re trying to do with us here.

If you really want help, how about:

(a) Taking detailed pictures of the actual items, no matter how long it takes
                      (b) Posting this pictures here, with a text description of what we’re looking at and your best estimation of it’s condition
                      (c) For the trouble of helping you price something, you give the members of the site the opportunity to buy, rather than getting a rough price from us, then doubling it for some rando at the flea market

john s
                      Participant

Cold,
                        Thank you very much for your reply. This is the type of dialogue I had hoped to achieve when I made the initial post. Therefore let me address your comments:

1) It’s not that I don’t want to take pictures, I do that all of the time for my wife. However, if the forum members had (initially and collectively) said anything over “x number of years old” is probably no longer a good enough quality for fly fishing, then I would not have wasted time taking pictures, would have said thank you very much, dropped it right there and off to the flea market with it.

2) I apologize if I came across as trying to use the forum to bump up prices, that wasn’t the idea at all. However, because of my complete lack of knowledge about Tack-L-Tyers plus the fact that I haven’t bought gear (or even gone fishing in over 30 years) I have to turn to someone currently active for guidance. My hobby is photography, I’m often asked by people “what’s a “19xx model Y” camera worth? My dad paid $500 for it!!” I have dashed more hopes than I care to count, but someone did ask me for guidance and I shared my knowledge. (And unless it’s a pre-WW2 Leica, most of what you see in flea markets or garage sales you won’t get rich on.) That’s the type of info I was looking for and I feel that you have accurately and honestly given me useful guidance.

3) The tags are correct and knowing that there is no proscribed material does ease my mind. I’m aware that possession of Raptor parts (by non-Native Americans) is a huge fine and don’t need anything like that. Also knowing that its not rare, of great value, or has possibly degraded to a non usable condition keeps my sights on a realistic price when posting. I’m not trying to price gouge, just (as any business would) turn some % sort of profit above the initial cost of purchase.

4) Since I didn’t have to check on my parents today, I’ll try to shoot a few things before I go to bed. Also, RogueGuiden has made a request, I’ll start w/ his and then anything w/ large, unopened quantities. Those photos I’ll post tomorrow morning when I get a chance. Opened packages may go in one bulk group.

5) You probably will end up dealing with my wife on any purchase. In all likelihood, she will want to do all sales via eBay for her “protection” and yours too, as there is redress for both parties and it keeps everyone honest. She has gotten some sales where someone says “I’ll pay you $X if you can do a Buy it Now” on a closed, not sold auction item they had been watching. She has one in negotiations right now. She then keeps in touch with them to find what is a best time for them to be watching for it, makes sure they are online and posts it for them at that time. I hope that the forum members will find this option acceptable.

Once again, thank you (and all forum members) for your assistance right now and in the future. Keep an eye out for the posts.

Mark
                        Participant

My hobby is photography, I’m often asked by people “what’s a “19xx model Y” camera worth? My dad paid $500 for it!!” I have dashed more hopes than I care to count, but someone did ask me for guidance and I shared my knowledge. (And unless it’s a pre-WW2 Leica, most of what you see in flea markets or garage sales you won’t get rich on.)

To speak a bit more your language then, your request in your first post (in equivalent terms of usefulness to someone in the know) is the equivalent of saying, “I have an old film camera in my garage, how much is it worth?”

Then, when pressed for more information, your second post would be the equivalent of saying, “I don’t know what brand it is. It’s black with silver metal, and it has it’s own leather case!”

My hunch is that you have the fly tying material equivalent (in terms of desirability & relative rarity, not direct dollar value) of a few K1000s & AE-1s, with the fast 50s that came with them back when they were the go-to cameras of the day, along with some Vivitar 70-210 zooms to go with a few. A few of the items in your collection may be roughly equivalent to say, a few f/1.4 primes, or some non-Leica rangefinders in good condition…but again, even that estimate could vary wildly depending on which specific lenses, and (especially) the condition of the various pieces.

Parts of your lot I may even have been interested in (had you dealt outside of eBay), but I wouldn’t even begin to entertain thoughts of purchase without detailed pictures.

PS. Have any old AI Nikkor glass for sale? Preferably wide angle primes. 😉

john s
                          Participant

HAHAHAHAHA…..Gasp…..HAHAHAHA!!!!!! Yes, in those terms, I can completely relate, and have had conversations exactly like those. I did run across a 50 MM Nikkor at an antique mall a while back, but don’t remember if it was f/1.4 or not. Bad thing was, seller had put the price sticker on the front lens element, not on a filter or side of the lens. I’ll ask members of my camera club if they have any laying around they want to sell. However, KEH (i think) is supposed to be in town in early August and they usually attract a big crowd.

I’ve taken shots, will start posting tomorrow. The JPG files are from a 70D, so they are going to be pretty good size and should be able to zoom in on them. Unfortunately, wife only want’s to do buy it nows on ebay for the time being.

Once again, thank you for your help.

Bass_Bug

To save you headaches and frustration up front, there is a limit of 8 pictures per post (feel free to post as many times with 8 pics each), a file size limit of 150MB per picture, and a resolution limit of 800×800. The file size and resolution limits only apply to pics you actually attach to the post. If you want to post higher resolution pictures, I’d suggest uploading the pics to Photobucket or similar picture sharing site and post the links as thumbnails. Here’s a link to an old thread detailing how this works if you’re unfamiliar with Photobucket. http://forums.flytyer.com/forum/2-welcome-mat/7621-adding-photos-202-advanced

As far as selling, why not just open an ebay store with set prices? As far as desirability, I can only speak for myself. I collect fly tying materials as much as the average obsessed fly tyer, but that is limited to what I can (or think I might be able) to use at some point.

If you’re going to post a lot of pics here,I’d suggest a new thread for each lot of like items (hackle, chenille, thread etc.) That will make it easier to post questions and replies for like items and not lose track. A single forum thread can get lengthy with a lot of people all asking about different products. I would also suggest adding a link in each post of where the items are being offered for sale if selling online. (“here’s a link where x number of spools of thread that are listed on eBay for $x each, or the lot for $xx).

If you have that much stuff, it’s probably not going to be a quick easy sell, unless someone offers you a single price for the lot and that would likely be a lot lower then if you piece it out, and even then take the chance you wont sell it all. Only you can decide if all the time and effort is worth the price difference. The common items, floss, tinsel chenille etc., I highly doubt you’ll get close to retail on the same modern equivalent unless there are rare colors not found today.

But you should start with a text listing of all the items like whats written on the sticky notes.

john s
                              Participant

Thank you, for this info, wasn’t aware of the file size restrictions. Will have to resize all the shots and probably take some new, but neither is a big issue. Can do a batch resize. Was talking to wife about sale strategy (how she want’s to list stuff, i.e., by now, make offer, etc) and will probably now wait toward end of week to begin posts. I will, as you suggest, make new threads for each type item.

Right now, the plan is to post pictures, descriptions, and prices on the forum about 5 days before the items are posted on eBay so the Forum members can see it. I appreciate the help from everyone here and want to be sure that members here can get first crack at the stuff if they are interested. If I can provide a treasure trove materials to some kid who can’t afford retail , that’s all the better. This isn’t a “get rich quick” project, it’s a let’s recover cost + some extra in case we run across anything like this again.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar