Try to get a all around 9wt setup for salt & freshwater

Home Home Fly Fishing Beginner’s Corner Try to get a all around 9wt setup for salt & freshwater

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Bass_Bug 3 months ago. This post has been viewed 542 times

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Sam Wright
    Participant

Can a guy get a 9wt setup for Salt & freshwater? Downsize the line for small flies for trout?

Bo Hamby
      Participant

That is a great salt rod but it’s going to be hard to make delicate presentations for trout . Do tell us more information , how big of salt water fish are you after ? As well be specific about your trout . If the trout your chasing are big enough , it’s a chance .

Sam Wright
        Participant

I AM A Beginner and was just wanting to see if i could get one rod tow do both salt & fresh. Don’t want to
          spend a lot of money coming out the gate!

Bass_Bug

You can use a rod for both fresh and salt water if you’re targeting similar size species. A 9′ 10wt would be a good salt or surf rod and also a good pike/muskie rod. The reel however is a little different. A reel good for salt (corrosion resistant) is fine for fresh, but many reels are not corrosion resistant. If you use one of those on salt water, you need to rinse and clean it real good aftwards. Although that is good practice for any reel. If you want to target trout, a 4 or 5wt would be more appropriate as you’d have a difficult time casting small trout flies on a 10 wt. Conversely a 5wt couldnt cast a big salt fly like a 2/0 Lefty’s Deceiver very well if at all. Rod length is also something to consider based on fishing application. The best thing to do is figure what you want to fish for and where, then look for the best setup for that application. I.e., trout on small creeks or streams with lots of tree would do better with a 7′ to 8′ 4 or 5wt. But then most things fly fishing are subjective and personal preference. There are some general guidelines to start with though.

Rod weights are designed to cast a certain amount of weighted line, so you want to match the line to the rod. It is possible, and often done, to overline or underline by 1 weight. Ex: a 4 or 6 weight line on a 5wt rod. Reels are a bit more forgiving. They are sized for capacity for a given wt line with a given amount of backing. If you use less backing you can go up in line size.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by  Bass_Bug.

Bass_Bug

Ive surf fished with spinning gear and built a 10wt for surf, but I’m by no means a salt water guy. That said any salt water fly anglers reading this that would care to offer thier opinions, suggestions and/or ideas?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar