What was the first fly you learned to tie?

Home Home Fly Fishing Beginner’s Corner What was the first fly you learned to tie?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  RODSTER | viator 6 years, 6 months ago. This post has been viewed 3330 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)
  • Author

RODSTER | viator
    Participant

Madam X.
      A friend showed me how to tie this fly and gave me an old yellowed pattern sheet with hand illustrations and instructions by Dave Whitlock. I think Dave typed the paper with an old Remington typewriter before the invention of computers and before Al Gore invented the internet. I practiced tying on our kitchen table with a c-clap on a pair of vice grip pliers. My first Madam X wasn’t the prettiest fly, but thank goodness perch are nearsighted! Now some 30 + years later, I still carry a few Madam X patterns in my fly box and they work like a charm. Best fishes, Rodster

Darren MacEachern
      Participant

My first was a Griffith’s Gnat. It’s still something I use quite a bit in some tiny sizes.

NJTroutbum

A Wooly Worm. Yellow wool yarn body, and palmered grizzly hackle.

Kevin Proctor
          Participant

San Juan Worm followed by the Wooly Bugger. Never have caught a fish on either one.

Mark Vendon
            Participant

My first ones were spun hair bass bugs. I actually kept two of the first three that I ever tied, and one of those is shown below after steaming it to un-flatten it. For years, it just sat in the bottom of my first materials bin. I started out with a bass bug tying kit from Bass Pro Shops. I didn’t fly fish back then, and figured I could really nail a lot of bass around where I live by useing hair bugs since they land so lightly and wouldn’t scare the larger bass. The only problem was that I couldn’t cast them far at all since they didn’t have any weight to them.

The fly on the right was supposed to be an Ausable Wulff. I didn’t have many of the required materials, so I used what I had at the time, like badger hair for the tail, orange chenille for the body and some red hackle that came with the bass bug kit. I weighted it with lead so I could cast it with my spinning rod, but again, it didn’t work out that great at all. This was in 1997. In 1998, I bought my first fly rod that I taught myself on so I could actually really use these things since I really enjoyed tying. They look pretty pathetic now, but it opened up an entire new phase for me as far as fishing goes.

Regards,
              Mark

Attachments:

Loretta Parent
              Participant

My first was a black woolly worm.

Randy Kimball
                Participant

My first was a yellow foam hopper.. or spider… looking thing. I still use them and they still catch bass. ..but now they look better and take about 1/20th the time to tie. They evolved into the one I have an SBS of on the beginners thread.

Walter Ryan
                  Participant

I think my first fly was a yellow woolly worm. The first fly I tied and caught a fish on was a gold ribbed hare’s ear nymph. I still have that fly.

David Mac
                    Participant

My very first fly was a Mickey Finn Click here to view another post about the Mickey Finn

Joel Szymczyk
                      Participant

wow, some folks really like to start out with advanced patterns. I started, and I always start out new folks, with a simple woolly worm. Red yarn tail cut short- even with the hook bend, chenille body, palmered hackle. I caught my first fly rod trout with one, and about six or seven truckloads (maybe more) of trout with them since. I tie them big too- up to about #6 on a 3xl or 4xl hook. They do a good job suggesting a helgrammite or big stonefly. They are easy to tie, catch all kinds of fish, and they teach the basics of fly tying well. Sometimes a #12 or #10 WW is the ticket, but I can’t count the number of stream and pond trout I’ve caught on a big #6. One of my favorite methods in still water is to cast an unweighted WW and just let it slowly sink, giving it no motion at all. Wait for the line to twitch and set the hook. Caught lots of fish that way.

Jeff Farris
                        Participant

My first fly was an orange and chartreuse Woolly Worm. It all but glows in the dark.

Rocky Cunningham
                          Participant

My first flies were a partridge and orange soft hackle, and a pheasant tail soft hackle. A tree got both of them. 😆

Kelly L.
                            Participant

My first fly was a black midge with thin wire, then a red one I think. On my own I learned to tie a Woolly Bugger, than a Clouser, from watching videos. After that, it was all kinds of flies, mostly from watching videos. Soon enough I started branching out, making some of my own original flies. I still love to tie other people’s patterns. But when I have an idea, I like to make the fly too. My first flies were unbelievably ugly. But I persisted. Within two weeks I decided I could actually do this fly tying thing. The rest is history.

Fatmans1
                              Participant

First fly was an Adams dry fly

Mark
                                Participant

I’m not really sure what my first fly was…probably a ratty looking woolly bugger. I took to tying much more quickly than to the fishing, so before too long, my single small fly box was overflowing with my own ties and I all but swore off buying flies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar